I know, I know… when you hear the words “Broccoli Cheese Soup” you are probably envisioning something a little creamier, heavier…. more Panera-like. And don’t get me wrong, I love, love, love that version of broccoli cheese soup as well. But, when I was dreaming up this recipe I wanted something a little more fresh and light. I also wanted to utilize the Sauce Veloute as a base and see where it got me. You can easily add some heavy cream at the end of this recipe if you just can’t do without – I won’t hold it against you… too much. This could easily be a light first course or could be the main event, if you wanted. It is hearty and chock full of amazing nutrients. Enjoy ~
I used broccoli crowns. After rinsing, I took two and cut them into small bite sized pieces to be added at the end. The rest of the broccoli will be added into the vegetable broth, boiled and pureed into the main part of the broth.
In a large saucepan, saute a shallot in butter until softened.
Add vegetable broth and the rest of the broccoli, which can simply be cut up into large chunks.
Let boil for 30 min. While it is boiling you can make the Sauce Veloute. Remove from heat and let cool. Then puree in small batches and return to sauce pan.
Slowly combine Sauce Veloute and pureed broccoli broth base.
Then add the bite sized chunks of broccoli, cheese, salt and pepper.
This would also be the time to add heavy cream or some flour to thicken, depending upon the consistency or to reach a creamier soup.
Serve with a warm, crusty baguette.
I hope you give this recipe a shot and feel free to make it as creamy and cheesy as you want …. or as light and broccoli-y as you want. This is a great base to build off of! Recipe includes how to make dairy-free and Whole30 compliant!
Also, if you a diggin the photography board, don’t forget you can easily get your very own – visit our Etsy Store!
- Approx 2 cups Sauce Veloute
- 1 shallot, diced
- 5 broccoli crowns (2 cut into bite-sized chunks; 3 cut into larger chunks to be boiled)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or ghee to make dairy free or Whole30)
- 64 oz vegetable broth
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon flour or arrowroot powder to help thicken
- Optional: 1 cup heavy cream
- In large saucepan, add butter/ghee to melt.
- Add shallots and let sweat until softened.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to boil.
- Add the 3 broccoli crowns cut into large chunks and boil for 30 minutes.
- Make your sauce velour in separate saucepan.
- Once broccoli base has boiled for 30 min and is sufficiently softened, remove from heat and let cool.
- In small batches, puree broccoli base in small batches.
- But broccoli base back in large sauce pan and and slowly stir in the sauce veloute base.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper and ensure cheese melts.
- Add broccoli chunks (the small, bite-sized).
- Let simmer for 10-15 min or until the broccoli is softened, but firm.
- At this point, check the consistency. If you want it thicker, but do not want to add cream, throw in some flour and stir continuously until broken down. If you do want it creamier and and - you know what to do - add cream a little at a time until you have reached your desired creaminess and you can also add some more cheese.
- Serve with warm baguette.