Buttery Pan-Seared Cod Cakes (Whole30/Paleo)
A savory and delicious weeknight meal!
I know sometimes cod can get a bad wrap – but you guys, the right kind of cod, cooked the right way ….. SO good! This is not the time to skimp on your fish selection! I would highly recommend you buy the best and most fresh cod you can for this recipe – and it will be so worth it! The right kind of cod will be flaky and delicious and when it is cooked in that ghee …. serious perfection.
I based this recipe off another favorite recipe of mine – my crab cakes! (which I need to make a version of that recipe Whole30 because its amazing). I have always been a fan of crab cakes and salmon cakes and I just wanted to see if you could make something just as delicious with Cod. After trying some really fresh and amazing cod from the deli at my favorite co-op, I knew I had to try. Tested and double-tested this recipe for you guys and it is awesome!
Oh and you HAVE to make some homemade Whole30 tartar sauce to go with it!!
- 1.5 pounds fresh cod fillets (really important to buy the best, freshest cod possible for this recipe!)
- 2-4 Tablespoons ghee
- 1 egg, crack into a small bowl and whisk
- ¼ sliced celery
- ¼ cup green onion
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1½ Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- 2½ Teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, tightly packed
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Place cod into food processor and pulse a few times until broken up (don't pulse too many times, you still want it pretty chunky)
- Place cod into medium mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients (except for the ghee).
- Place mixture in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and make into approximately 7 cod cakes and place on plate.
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium high heat.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of ghee and let melt.
- Place cod cakes in pan and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and let cook for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Uncover and flip, adding any additional ghee needed.
- Cover and let cook an additional 4-5 minutes.
- You may need to reduce heat a bit more, as needed.
- Once fully cooked, remove and serve immediately.
- Garnish with fresh dill and serve with homemade Whole30 tartar sauce.