Creamy Fall Harvest Dairy-Free Veggie Pot Pie – warm and comforting pot pies that are dairy-free!
This post is sponsored by Califia Farms®. The opinions are my own.
This fall weather makes want a nice warm, fresh from the oven, pot pie!
Oh my gosh I am such a sucker for a good pot pie. There is something magical about that crust mixed with that creamy goodness inside – I am such a huge fan.
But, as always, it is really hard to find a good dairy-free version of a pot pie! So, I am so happy to be partnering with Califia Farms to bring you guys a delicious (and creamy!) dairy-free version! Full of delicious veggies, these little guys are packed full of amazing ingredients – including Califia Farms unsweetened almond milk, which is my go-to dairy-free alternative! It works so well in any recipe I have tried it and this one is no exception!
Fall weather is definitely here and these pot pies are calling your name!
One note on the recipe – so the recipe for the filling makes 8 cups. I did provide an easy crust recipe, but really feel free to use whatever kind of crust you want! I have absolutely no shame in saying I use a prepared pie crust A LOT. It just makes things easier. Especially if you are making a big batch of these to freeze, etc. Also, I didn’t put a specific size of pot pie to make – I am kind of leaving that up to you guys! Sometimes I like making little individual pot pies and sometimes I like making the bigger, family-style pot pies. Just know you have 8 cups of filling to work with and go from there!
If you are in the mood for comfort food – I also highly recommend these Dairy Free Meatballs and Dumplings!
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2.5 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 large russet potato, cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 large stalks celery, cut into thick slices
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground thyme
- 2 Tablespoons ground sage
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 cup Califia Farms unsweetened almond milk
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- Oil Pastry (remember that pre-made pastry crust works just fine!):
- 2 cup flour
- 1½ Teaspoon salt
- ½ cup oil (not olive oil)
- 5 Tablespoons cold water
- Pie Crust:
- Combine oil pastry ingredients and divide into two balls.
- Place each between pieces of wax paper and roll out into large circles for pie crust.
- Add olive oil to large saucepan and bring to medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Stir as the onion reduces, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup broth to keep pan from drying out.
- Add butternut squash, potato, carrots, celery, broccoli and peas.
- Stir to mix together.
- Add flour and mix to fully coat.
- Add milk a ½ cup at a time, mixing after each pour.
- Then add broth ½ cup at a time, mixing after each pour as well.
- Let simmer until mixture thickens.
- If it isn't thickening enough after 10 minutes, add additional flour 1 Tablespoon at at time and mix well.
- Taste and add additional salt, to taste.
- The filling makes approximately 8 cups. The pie crust makes enough dough for a full-size pie. Feel free to make individual pot pies or one large pot pie or 2 medium pot pies. Also feel free to just have crust on the top or both bottom and top.
- Bake pot pies at 350 for 30-45 minutes - don't forget to cut slits in the crust and to do a light egg-wash as well.