Extra Creamy Dairy Free Hot Chocolate – a delicious and festive holiday treat that is dairy-free and vegan!
The counter-part to my Ultimate Dairy Free Egg Nog is here!!! This is the most perfectly creamy and delicious hot chocolate recipe EVER and it is dairy free, paleo and vegan!
When I am not creating Whole30 recipes, I love to make creative dairy-free/vegan versions of everyday recipes that everyone loves. It always amazes me how, more often than not, you can come pretty darn close to the original, dairy-laden recipe. So many times in my life, I have had to forgo partaking in eating certain foods because it contained dairy – so to be able to create some dairy-free recipes (especially during the holidays!) is so fun for me to do and to share with all of you! I love hearing from you about instances when my recipes have allowed people to feel more included in a special occasion because they were able to have a dairy-free alternative – it seriously makes me SO happy!!
So, here is another current, dairy-free, obsession of mine! This Extra Creamy Dairy Free Hot Chocolate is made with coconut milk, almond milk, sugar (but feel free to substitute coconut sugar if you want it to be paleo) and cocoa powder. Once everything is whisked together, it becomes this creamy deliciousness that goes perfectly with your favorite marshmallow!!
Don’t worry, it passed the taste test with my kiddos too!
So, whether you are looking for just a cleaner version of hot chocolate or you like the dairy free option, this is going to become a yearly staple for you guys!
Hope you guys are staying sane through the pre-holiday events and craziness! I just finished the bulk of my shopping yesterday (yay) and will be shooting my last two recipes of the year on Thursday and then I will be able to take a little time off to just… be ?. Hope you guys have had a good start to your week!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (I would recommend blending your coconut milk with an immersion blender before use so it is fully combined)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 heaping Tablespoons pure cocoa powder (add more if you want it even more chocolate-ey)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated or coconut sugar (add more or less if you want it sweeter or less sweet)
- pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients in small saucepan on stove.
- Bring to medium heat.
- Whisk ingredients until fully combined and sugar is dissolved.
- Let simmer, while continuing to whisk, for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your choice of marshmallows.