Fresh Lemon Butter Scallops – cooked in ghee and fresh lemon juice, these scallops are savory and delicious! (Whole30/Paleo)
When you are sticking to a mainly Whole30/Paleo diet, you might get stuck in a rut once in a while. It happens to the best of us – myself included. You suddenly feel like you are always making the same thing over and over again, recipes that once tasted good, but you could REALLY use some different flavors in our life….. I feel ya.
That is when I pull out a recipe like these Fresh Lemon Butter Scallops (I know, it should say “Lemon Ghee Scallops.” but that doesn’t quite roll off your tongue the same….). They are ridiculously easy to make, the lemon is fresh and different and they are freakin delicious!!! The other recipe that ALWAYS wakes up my tastebuds, is The Ultimate Shrimp and Chicken Curry – it is a must-make.
I would serve with maybe an easy baked potato (with Whole30 Ranch) and some roasted asparagus!!
Hope you guys have a great start to your week!
- 8-10 large sea scallops
- the zest of 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3-4 Tablespoons ghee
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to high heat
- Add just enough ghee to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Pat Scallops dry and sprinkle with salt.
- Put salt side down in hot pan to sear.
- Sprinkle salt on other side of scallops.
- Let cook for 1 minute and then reduce heat to medium/medium-high and add enough ghee to ensure the bottom doesn't dry out (at least 1 Tablespoon).
- Sprinkle with ½ of the lemon zest, add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1 Tablespoon chives.
- Cook for 3 minutes on medium and then flip, pushing some ghee under each scallop as you flip to ensure they don't stick to the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minute on this side or until fully cooked (they are cooked when the tops start to crack).
- After you flip, add the other Tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add additional ghee, as needed, to ensure the bottom of the pan stays nicely coated.
- Once fully cooked, plate and sprinkle with other half of lemon zest, the rest of the chives and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- (Optional: If you want a bit of a sauce to pour over, leave any residue in the pan and add an additional Tablespoon or two of ghee, another Tablespoon or two of lemon juice and a swirl of olive oil together and mix together. Pour over scallops.)