Light and Delicious Lox Breakfast Toast – a simple (egg-free option) breakfast that is so easy to put together! (whole30/paleo)
Sometimes you just don’t want eggs for breakfast. I get it. When that’s how you are feeling, this is the recipe for you!
I have always been a huge fan of smoked salmon – it is light and delicious. And served on a bagel with sour cream and all the goods …. it’s one of the best. Buuuut, I am not always digging the bagel and the dairy-filled sour cream. So, I came up with this option for a Whole30 compliant / dairy free version of that beloved lox bagel for you guys!!
So the “bagel” is actually just a russet potato baked in the oven with salt and pepper. Watch your labels on the smoked salmon/lox – lots of weird ingredients can make their way into them! And then the sour cream – you can find dairy-free sour cream fairy easily these days, but I don’t think there is a Whole30 sour cream out on the market – but I just happen to have a lovely little recipe for Dairy Free Coconut Sour Cream that will be perfect!!
And I love that this is easy enough for a weekday morning, but can totally be fancy enough for your weekend brunch! Hope you guys enjoy!
- 2½ inch thick slices of russet potato
- olive oil
- 3-4 oz smoked salmon (more if desired)
- 8 slices English cucumber
- 1 slice red onion
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- Whole30 sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Rub both sides of potato slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for approx. 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove and let cook slightly.
- Top potato toast with cucumber slices, lox, capers, red onion, fresh dill and dairy free sour cream (see post for Dairy Free Coconut Sour Cream!)