Mint Chocolate Vegan Shortbread Cookies – a light and delicious holiday treat!
These Mint Chocolate Vegan Shortbread Cookies are perfect for the holidays! The combo of chocolate and mint is ALWAYS good!
Seriously cannot believe that Christmas is 2 weeks from tomorrow!! Are you guys ready? I am kind of ready….? I am about 94% done with Christmas shopping, but it is just the little stuff like getting Christmas cards out, actually wrapping the presents and keeping it organized as to who gets what where, and packing and unpacking with all of our traveling. Plus the usual stuff like getting dinner on the table, keeping the house somewhat clean (at least liveable) and going to work…. Soooo yeah. Not sure if I could call myself ready for Christmas, but we will get there!
We did celebrate Christmas with my in-laws this weekend and I got to bring these Mint Chocolate Vegan Shortbread Cookies – they were a hit! Peppermint extract is preeeety strong, so don’t go too crazy. I didn’t want the mint flavor to be over-powering – so the recipe calls for 1 Teaspoon. I wouldn’t increase too much more than that!
Hope you guys are enjoying the season and aren’t getting too overwhelmed. I will say, I have definitely been over-indulging a bit too much! I am going to do a little mini Whole30 reset for the next 5 days and then let loose a bit over the Christmas weekend. Also, looking forward to doing a January Whole30!!!! Feel free to join me!
Special thanks to the hubs, who is always a fabulous hand-model ?
- ¾ pound diary-free margarine, room temperature
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar (extra for sprinkling on top)
- 1 Teaspoon peppermint/mint extract
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- 6-8 oz diary free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Teaspoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using electric stand mixer, combine butter and sugar in bowl and mix together with paddle attachment.
- Add peppermint extract and continue mixing.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour and salt.
- Add flour mixture, together with chopped mint leaves, into butter mixture.
- Mix on low speed until it creates a dough.
- Remove from bowl and place on flour-dusted surface and shape into a large disc.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove from refrigerator and roll ½ inch thick and cut with preferred cookie cutter.
- Place on uncreased cookie sheet and sprinkle with extra sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- When you are ready to dip in chocolate, melt chocolate along with coconut oil in microwave.
- Dip each cookie in chocolate and place on parchment paper to let dry.