Stuffed Apples + Cardamom Whipped Cream and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Walnuts and Caramel Sauce. The perfect spin on apple crisp and an amazing dessert for fall!
Are you guys up to your eyeballs in apples? Cause I am. (See: Sweet Glazed Apple Cookies). They are everywhere! We just made our annual trip to the apple orchard today to take the obligatory yearly photos surrounded by pumpkins, apples and hay … and of course came home with …. another bag of apples. Of course. So your go-to’s are obviously apple pie and apple crisp. Classic and always yummy. But what if you want to do something a little different. Maybe a little more fancy? I got you guys.
I have seen the idea floating around of stuff apples, but I had never tried it before. The other weekend we went to a friend’s house for dinner and this was on the menu – I fell instantly in love and knew I wanted to try and put my own spin on it. The result – flippin amazing.
I used medium-large Honeycrisp apples and just cored them out with a knife.
Then I used my apple crisp filling recipe (see below) and stuffed the apples, making sure that I packed as much as possibly could into them, leaving a mound on top. Bake them in the oven for 25-35 minutes (depending upon how firm or not you want your apples). Top with homemade cardamom whipped cream (
probably the best part of this entire dish), crushed walnuts, a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and drizzle with caramel sauce.
This is why we love fall and our overabundance of apples. Because this is the result. Wonderful and different creations to share with family and friends. Enjoy.
You guys gotta try it!!
Hey – like the photography backgrounds you see used daily on The Wooden Skillet? Check out our Etsy Shop and one can be yours!!
- 4-6 medium-large Honeycrisp apples, cored
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup flour
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- Cardamom Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon sugar
- ½ Teaspoon ground cardamom
- chopped walnuts
- vanilla bean ice cream
- caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium mixing bowl.
- Stir to ensure all clumps are gone and everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Add melted butter and mix with spoon until clumpy.
- Stuff mixture into cored apples, packing tightly and making sure there almost a little "cap" on top of the apple.
- Place in oven and bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes. I baked mine for 25 minutes and the apples were fairly firm. Obviously, the longer you cook them, the softer they will get. It will also depend upon the size of your apples. Mine were fairly large.
- Cardamom Whipped Cream:
- While the apples are cooking you can make your whipped cream (or you can make it the day before).
- Add cardamom, sugar and heavy whipping cream to mixing bowl and mix on med/high with a Kitchenaid or hand mixer until cream becomes thick and will stand up on its own when you pull out your mixer (approx. 3 minutes or so).
- Taste - add additional sugar and/or cardamom to reach your desired taste - remember that cardamom is very strong, so if you are going to add more, I would start with ¼ Teaspoon and go from there.
- Place your stuffed apple in a bowl; Top with Cardamom Whipped Cream; Put scoop of vanilla bean ice cream next to it. Sprinkle with about 1-2 Tablespoons of walnuts; Drizzle with a Tablespoon of caramel.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!