Best Steak Marinade – this steak marinade recipe is packed with flavor and is great for grilled steaks! So easy and delicious!
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Place steaks in a large silicone bag or glass container. Pour marinade over top and ensure steaks are fully coated.
- Let steaks marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
- We love grilling steaks after marinating!
- Poking holes in steak: before you marinate your steak feel free to poke some holes it it on both sides using a fork. This helps the marinade penetrate the steak while marinating.
- Before Grilling: Wipe off excess marinade before grilling (especially over direct heat) as it will most likely cause flare-ups. Some flare-ups are fine (and we all like a little char!), but we recommend having a spray bottle of water on hand to help calm the flames in case of flare-ups. You can also move your steak over to indirect heat after the initial sear if you have having lots of issues. See: How to Grill the Perfect Steak for more info!
- Freezing: You can definitely freeze your steak in the marinade if you want to prep beforehand. Simply place steak + marinade in a freezer-safe silicone bag. Ensure steak is coated in the marinade and then push out as much air as possible while sealing the bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, simply place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Paleo/Whole30: to make Paleo/Whole30 simply use a compliant ketchup and use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
Keywords: steak marinade, grilled steak marinade