Caprese Burgers – a delicious, juicy chicken burger with melted fresh mozzarella, basil, fresh tomato slices and balsamic glaze!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup shredded white onion, excess water squeeze out
- 2–3 tablespoons shredded frozen butter*
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon worcesterhire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- (optional) 4 slices American cheese
- bun of your choice (regular or gluten-free)
- 8 fresh mozzarella slices
- 8fresh tomato slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- balsamic glaze (store-bought or homemade)
- Ensure grill grates are clean and heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place a cheese grater on top of 2-3 pieces of paper towel. Grate the white onion on top of the paper towel. Use the paper towel to gently squeeze out as much of the excess moisture from the onion.
- Use the same cheese grater to shred the frozen butter (if using).
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, almond flour, grated white onion, grated butter, garlic, worcestershire, mayo, dijon, lemon zest and parmesan cheese.
- Fully combine.
- Prepare a small parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal patties about 1/2-3/4 inches thick on the cookie sheet. Press down in the middle with your thumb to create an indent.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes (this ensures it will be easy for you to lift them off the cookie sheet and they will hold their shape on the grill).
- Season the top generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Take a piece of paper towel and put a little olive oil on it – hold it with a pair of tongs and rub the olive oil on the hot grill carefully.
- Place burgers on the grill over direct heat and close the lid.
- Let cook 5-6 minutes per side or until they reach 160 degrees F. internal temperature.
- Place fresh mozzarella slices on top of burgers during the last 2-3 minutes of cook time. Move burgers to indirect heat if you need a bit more time.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes.
- To build burger: place fresh basil on top of the bottom bun. Follow with chicken burger, tomato, balsamic glaze and top bun.
- *Frozen Butter – if you are looking to really keep these chicken burgers lean, you can definitely omit the butter BUT if you are just looking for a juicy chicken burger then definitely include this step!
- Make ahead: feel free to make the patties the day before. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: to make these ahead and freeze simply make patties and then place a piece of parchment between them as you stack. Place in a freezer-safe bag, label and place in freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight and then grill according to the instructions above.
Keywords: caprese burger