Cheeseburger Soup – a delicious and creamy cheeseburger soup recipe that is packed with flavor and so easy to make!
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped celery
- 1 lb Country Natural Beef Butcher Blend Ground Beef
- ½ tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cups chicken broth (if Whole30 check your ingredients)
- 1–2 small russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews (soak overnight in water)*
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons pickle juice
- (optional) toppings: pickles, bacon bits or shredded cheese (omit if Whole30/paleo)
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil, onion and garlic and bring to medium high heat; stir and let reduce for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes (add another tablespoon of olive oil if you need to).
- Once celery has cooked down, cook ground beef – drain excess grease.
- Add chicken broth, parsley and potatoes.
- Bring to a simmer until potatoes are soft, but firm.
- Meanwhile, In high-powered blender, add cashews (drain first), almond milk, nutritional yeast and salt.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy (use spatula to scrape down sides several times) approximately 4 minutes.
- Once the broth has been simmering for about 10 minutes, add your cashew sauce and start stirring to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and continue stirring – soup will thicken after a couple of minutes.
- Add pepper, lemon juice, pickle juice; stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional salt, as desired. (I added another 1/2 teaspoon).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Bacon Bit Topping: if you want to make bacon bits we love cooking our bacon in the oven!
- *Cashews: if you don’t want to soak your cashews overnight (or you just forget to) you can simply put them in a heat-safe bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let them soak in the boiling water at least 10 minutes, but ideally 30 minutes. Then drain and use as-directed in the recipe.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheating: you might want to add a splash of broth while reheating to thin out the cashew base.
Keywords: cheeseburger soup