A fun spin on the classic paella dish that is Whole30 and Paleo friendly!
- 3 Tablespoons ghee (sub coconut oil, if desired)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
- 1 large stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 28oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2–3 Tablespoons chicken broth (bone broth is even better)
- 1 green pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Approx. 6oz chorizo, sliced
- 1/2 – 1 lb tail-on large shrimp, raw
- 1 lb mussels
- 1/2 – 3/4 lb clams
- 1/2 – 1 lb raw shrimp, tail-on
- In large skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) melt ghee on medium heat.
- Add garlic and move around until fragrant.
- Add onion, celery, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix around until fully combined.
- Add tomatoes, broth and a Teaspoon of salt.
- Mix and let simmer, uncovered, for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Add green pepper and chorizo; mix.
- Add clams and shrimp, ensure sauce is simmering, and cover tightly for 3 minutes.
- Remove lid just long enough to add mussels, cover tightly again for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, mix and then cover again for about 5 minutes.
- By this time, all the mussels and clams should be open and your shrimp should be fully cooked.
- Taste and add any additional salt or pepper, as needed.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, if desired. If you serve your Wannabe Paella over some raw (unfrozen) cauliflower rice, the rice should cook slightly and give you that true paella feel of having rice cooked in it).
If you are not worried about Whole30/Paleo, feel free to serve over some gluten-free pasta! It’s delicious!