Comforting Irish Beef Stew – a delicious Irish meal that is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any day!
- 2 – 2.5 lbs beef or lamb (you could really use any cut you want, I used a nice beef roast), cut into large 1-2 inch chunks
- 3T ghee
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 large sweet yellow onion (or 1 small yellow onion) cut into wedges
- 10 baby onions
- 10 baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 russet potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 4–6 fresh sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- (Note:if you want a thicker broth, simply place beef in approx. 1/2 cup of arrowroot powder to lightly coat before you cook in ghee)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sprinkle cut up beef (or lamb) with salt and pepper.
- Add ghee to dutch oven, melt and coat the pan.
- Add beef to pan and cook on medium high heat, searing all sides, and continuing to cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Cover and place in the oven for 1.5 hours
- Highly recommend serving over these mashed potatoes!
Keywords: Irish stew, beef stew, healthy beef stew