A classic Irish meal (traditionally served on St. Patrick’s Day) that is delicious and easy to make!
- 3–4 pound corned beef brisket
- 1 head of cabbage (cut in half, remove core, cut into medium-sized wedges)
- 6 medium carrots (peeled and cut into uniform 1–2 inch chunks)
- 1 yellow onion (cut into quarters)
- 1–2 potatoes (cut into large chunks)
- Remove brisket from packaging and rinse.
- Place in Dutch Oven or other large pot. – fat side up.
- Take spice packet from brisket package and sprinkle on top of brisket.
- Add water until brisket is barely covered.
- Bring to a boil; Cover and reduce heat and simmer for approx. 3 hours (for a 3 pound brisket) or more.
- After approximately 3 hours of simmering, add potatoes, carrots, and onion. Cover and bring back to boil for 5 minutes.
- Then add cabbage, continue boiling and cover for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully remove everything and serve immediately.
- Ghee (or butter) and salt should be available for cabbage.
Keywords: corned beef and cabbage