Dairy-Free Chocolate Cherry Scones – a light and delicious way to start your day!
- 1 egg (sub with flax egg to make vegan)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup Zevia Blackcherry Soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon + 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons room temperature coconut oil (scoop able, not liquid or frozen)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dairy free chocolate chunks (or chocolate bar broken into chunks, or cocoa nibs)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine egg, almond milk and Zevia, set aside. (If using flax egg, prepare egg first and then add almond milk and Zevia)
- In separate bowl, sift flour and then add baking powder and salt and then whisk together.
- Add coconut oil to flour mixture and use a fork to fully combine.
- Whisk egg mixture slowly into flour mixture until fully combined. (if too sticky add a little more flour; if too dry add a splash of almond milk).
- Add dried cherries and chocolate and mix, using your hands if needed to fully combine.
- Place dough on flour-covered surface and form into disc, approximately 1 inch tall.
- Cut using a very sharp knife into 6 equal size pieces.
- Move pieces to cookie sheet and bake for 22-25 minutes.