Delicious Brothy Beans – quick and easy brothy beans recipe that is a bowl of comfort food! Serve with grilled bread for the perfect meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4oz pancetta, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup leeks, chopped
- zest of one lemon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 handfuls fresh swiss chard, chopped (leaves and stems)
- 1 handful arugula
- 2 15oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed*
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 parmesan rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4–1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese for serving
- grilled bread for serving
- Bring Dutch Oven to medium-high heat and add olive oil; swirl to coat the pan.
- Add pancetta and let cook until fat begins to reduce, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion and leeks and let reduce about 1 minute.
- Add lemon zest, fresh thyme, swiss chard and arugula. Move greens around the pan until they begin to wilt; about 1 minute.
- Add beans, broth, parmesan rind, lemon juice, white wine and salt.
- Cover and let simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt, as desired.
- Serve with grilled bread for dipping.
- Pancetta: If you want to make this a vegetarian meal you can omit the pancetta, but the flavor won’t be as well-rounded as you will be missing that fat element. You can also use bacon, but it has a stronger flavor so don’t go too crazy and you may want to drain excess fat that reduces.
- Leeks: you can also use fennel if you want to!
- Cannellini Beans: if you want to cook your own beans before hand, please feel free! We wanted this to be a weeknight-friendly recipe, but if you are making it on the weekend then by all means please cook your beans yourself – here is a great article on how to do that!
- Grilled Bread: This recipe kind of requires you to dip bread in it!! You just have to! So even if you don’t make grilled bread, I would highly suggest you grab some sort of bread (even just a sourdough) takes this recipe to the next level.
Keywords: brothy beans