A incredibly creamy broccoli “cheese” soup – you won’t believe it is dairy-free and vegan!
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 1–2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped celery
- 4 1/5 cup chopped broccoli into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups vegetable broth (if Whole30 check your ingredients)
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews (soak overnight in water)
- 1 1/4 cup Califia unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- In large sauce pan, add olive oil and shallots and bring to medium high heat; stir shallots and let reduce for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes (add another Tablespoon of olive oil if you need to).
- Once celery has cooked down, add broccoli and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer.
- In high-powered blender, add cashews (drain first), almond milk, nutritional yeast and salt.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy (use spatula to scrape down sides several times) approximately 4 minutes.
- Once your the vegetable broth has been simmering for about 5 minutes, add your cashew sauce and start stirring to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and continue stirring – soup will thicken after a couple of minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt, as desired. (I added another 1/2 Teaspoon).
Don’t forget to soak your cashews overnight (I just leave mine out on the counter), but if you forget you can always let them soak in boiling water for at least an hour and you should be fine!