Easy Burrito Bowls – an easy weeknight dinner that is so easy to meal-prep and is perfect for work lunches! Make with steak, chicken, pork or leave vegetarian!
- 2–3 lbs round steak
- salt and pepper
Other Burrito Bowl Toppings:
- guacamole – store-bought or homemade
- Whole30/Paleo “sour cream” (I make my own dairy-free sour cream )
- red onion, diced
- cilantro, roughly chopped
- salsa (pico de gallo, mango salsa, regular salsa, salsa verde) – feel free to make your own or grab some from the store
- cauliflower rice (feel free to use store-bought, make your own cauliflower rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice)
Other toppings/ingredients: feel free to use regular rice, black beans (canned, drained) or corn (drained) in place of or in addition to the other ingredients. The recipe won’t be Whole30/Paleo, but it will still be delicious!
- Prepare rice either according to box instructions. Regular cauliflower rice and cilantro lime cauliflower rice instructions are here. If you are using store-bought cauliflower rice simply bring a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add cauliflower rice. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and move around them an until it is hot. Serve immediately.
- Allow your steak to come to room temp and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bring cast iron skilled to medium-high heat.
- Add steak and cook for 2-3 minutes per side (for a 1 inch thick steak – medium rare/medium).
- Then remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes (you can also grill your steak, if you prefer).
- Take 4 bowls and add rice, steak (or other protein), guacamole, sour cream, pico, onion and cilantro as well as any other toppings you desire.
- Serve immediately.
- If you prefer to grill your steak I have a tutorial on that here.
Other protein options:
- Chicken (2 chicken thighs per serving)
- Pork (1/2 lb pulled pork per serving)
- Tofu (1/2 cup per serving)
Chicken– I recommend pan frying chicken thighs:
- Bring large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of ghee and allow to melt; swirl the pan to coat.
- Meanwhile, place boneless* chicken thighs on a clean plate and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place in hot cast iron and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes; flip and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 165.
- Add additional ghee to pan if it starts to dry out.
- Feel free to cover while the chicken is cooking, if desired.
- Remove and place on clean plate; allow to rest for 5-7 minutes.
You can also grill chicken thighs or grill chicken breasts.
Pork – I recommend making a batch of Slow Cooker Pulled Pork or Smoked Pork Shoulder (use the leftovers for tacos!)
Tofu – here is a great recipe for how to cook tofu!
Keywords: burrito bowl recipe