Easy Shepherd’s Pie – perfect cold weather comfort food. This simple shepherd’s pie recipe is made with simple, real ingredients.
- 1–2 tablespoons ghee (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onions, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 batch Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes or Stove Top Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add ghee and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and let cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, moving around constantly.
- Add onion and look cook until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add ground beef. Move around the pan until cooked through. Drain any excess grease, but leave a tablespoon or two in the pan.
- Add cassava flour and toss to coat the ground beef.
- Add in broth and stir to combine.
- Add in green pepper, carrot, celery, mushrooms (if using), diced tomatoes, tomato paste, ketchup, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, coconut aminos, paprika, chili powder, dried parsley, oregano and thyme. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired (add additional salt if needed).
- Pour mashed potatoes on top and spread out evenly.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, for 20- 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Broth: you can also use beef broth, but after testing we found the chicken broth has better flavor.
Keywords: easy shepherds pie