Garlic Confit – A simple and delicious culinary technique that leaves you with the most savory garlic and beautifully infused olive oil!
- 1 cup rendered chicken fat or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2–4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Place rendered chicken fat or olive oil into small saucepan.
- Add whole garlic cloves, salt and thyme.
- Let simmer, covered, approx. 1 hour or until garlic becomes browned.
- Add additional salt to taste.
- Store for later to use in any of your favorite recipes, like Garlic Hummus!
- Oven Method: add olive oil/chicken fat, garlic cloves, salt and thyme to oven-proof pan and place in oven at 250 for 2-2.5 hours
- Storage: Store in airtight glass container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- Herbs: we love using fresh thyme, but you could also use fresh rosemary sprigs, a bay leaf, star anise, or black peppercorns!
- Leftover Oil/Chicken Fat: Use garlic and/or leftover olive oil or chicken fat for cooking – we love using it in this Lemon Garlic Chicken.
- Pro tip: pour some of the oil into ice cube trays and then you have pre-portioned servings of olive oil that you can use as needed!
Keywords: garlic confit, how to make garlic confit