Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Spinach, Carrots and Zucchini – the perfect healthy cookie that you AND your kids will love!! (they won’t know there are veggies hidden in them!)
If you are looking for something that is sweet, but also has some seriously healthy ingredients – this is the cookie recipe for you (and your kiddos!).
*originally published May 24, 2016; photos and recipe updated June 13, 2018*
I came up with this recipe several years ago, after my oldest was born, because I wanted a way to sneak some more veggies into her diet and wanted to be able to give her something sweet for dessert once in a while that didn’t have a million weird ingredients in it. I wanted a “healthy” cookie for her – this is what I came up with! Nut butter, applesauce, banana and whole wheat flour are the main ingredients with spinach, carrots and zucchini – I swear you really can’t even taste the veggies. Oh, and of course there are chocolate chips because, hello, these are still cookies!
I have now been making these for years and I still love this recipe (and so do my kids!). Can’t wait for you guys to try them!
And if you love sneaking veggies into desserts (like me) also check out these Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies!
I hope you (and your family) enjoys these!! Let me know how yours turn out!
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (or ANY creamy nut butter as long as it has the same texture/consistency as a creamy peanut butter – some nut butters are fairly dry)
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 very ripe, mashed banana
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Teaspoons brown sugar (optional – you really only need this if you are using a sugar-free nut butter)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (depends on how chocolate-y you want them) (make sure they are dairy-free if that is important to you)
- 1/3 cup carrot (use peeler to peel strips of carrot and then roughly chop)
- 1/3 cup spinach (roughly chopped)
- 2-3 Tablespoons of zucchini (just peel off the green, outer layer of the zucchini with peeler and then roughly chop)
- sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- In separate medium bowl, combine mashed banana, beaten egg, applesauce, vanilla, peanut butter and brown sugar; Mix well.
- Add spinach, carrots and zucchini to wet ingredients and fold together.
- Combine both bowls and then add chocolate chips. Mix.
- Take cookie sheet and lightly spray with non-stick.
- Take generous Tablespoons of dough and place on cookie sheet OR take 2-3 Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball in your hand, place on cookie sheet and gently flatten into circle.
- Sprinkle with sea salt (optional).
- (Note: cookies will not raise much or spread out)
- Cook at 375 for approx. 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms start to brown.
- Place on cooling rack.
- (note: how many cookies this recipe yields depends upon how big your cookies are. If you are just making them 1-2 Tablespoons big, you will yield approximately 16-20 cookies)
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting all things The Wooden Skillet.