Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets – an easy and delicious weeknight dinner that is kid-approved! (Whole30 + Paleo + GF + DF)
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into 1–2 inch chunks
- 1–2 tablespoons ghee (or coconut oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground back pepper
- Place egg into a shallow bowl and whisk; set aside.
- In another shallow bowl add almond flour, tapioca starch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Take several pieces of chicken and place them in the egg. Move them around ensuring they are covered in egg.
- Remove the pieces of chicken allowing any excess egg to run off the chicken. Then place in the almond flour mixture, lightly coating each side. Shake off excess and place chicken on plate. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add ghee, allowing it to melt. Once the pan is hot and ghee is melted add the chicken (you will most likely need to do two batches) and cook 2-3 minutes per side (depending upon how thick the pieces are). Once chicken is fully cooked (165 degree internal temperature) remove from pan and place on a paper towel covered plate.
- Serve immediately with ketchup, ranch or dijon mustard.
- If you can’t find chicken tenders you can simply purchase 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut into tenders and then 1-2 inch chunks.
Keywords: homemade chicken nuggets