Homemade Pie Crust Recipe – your go-to homemade pastry crust for making pot pie, pies and tarts!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons COLD water
- Place flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the water and oil (do not stir).
- Pour water/oil mixture into flour mixture and mix with a fork.
- Use hands to form into 2 equal sized balls of dough.
- Place one ball of dough in between two sheets of wax paper and roll out to desired size. If the edges initially crack, don’t worry, just keep rolling out and they will become smooth. For pie crust, roll out until dough is approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Repeat this process with the other ball of dough.
- Peel off the top layer of wax paper and then carefully flip over onto your pie plate making sure the pie plate is centered. Peel of the remaining wax paper.
- Gently help the dough fall down, pressing as needed, to mold the dough into the pie plate. Crimp the rim with your fingers so the edges are all even.
- Baking (Option 1): Poke holes in the bottom crust with a fork and line with a piece of parchment. Place dried beans or pie weights in the center and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pie Recipe (Option 2): Use the uncooked pie crust in your favorite pie recipe (we love to make Chicken Pot Pie).
- Wax Paper Moving: put a little water on the counter before putting your first piece of wax paper down to prevent it from sliding!
- Oil Substitutes: Olive oil does NOT work in this recipe and I have not tested every other kind of oil so I would recommend not substituting the vegetable oil.
- Pie Plate Size: use a 9-10 inch pie plate.
Keywords: homemade pie crust recipe, homemade pie crust