How to Grill a Perfect Steak – A step-by-step tutorial on how to grill the perfect steak every time!
- (2) 1-inch thick New York Strips, Ribeye or Filet Mignon steaks
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- (optiona) steak marinade
- Clean grill and turn grill temperature up to High Heat (450-550 degrees F).
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides of steak and set aside until grilling is hot (you can also marinate them!).
- Place steaks over direct heat and close grill. Let sear for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip steaks, keeping them over direct heat, and close the lid. Let cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Open grill and take internal temperature of the steaks by sticking an internal meat thermometer into the side of the steak. If steak hasn’t reached your desired internal temperature (see Notes) then move steak to indirect heat (I usually just turn off my middle burner and move the steaks there) until they do reach your desired temperature.
- Remove steaks from grill and let rest for 5 minutes before serving/cutting.
- We love serving our grilled steak with this homemade Herbed Butter or these Sautéed Mushroom and Onions!
- Filet Mignons: most filets are thicker than 1 inch. You still want to sear them on both sides for 3-4 minutes and then move them to indirect heat until they have reached your desired temperature.
- Fattier Cuts + Marinades: If you cooking a fattier meat, like my beloved ribeye, you need to be extra careful of flare-ups (this can also happen if you marinate your steak and leave too much on – shake off excess marinade before grilling). If you are having issues, keep a water bottle nearby and don’t be afraid to spray your flames to keep them tamed or, if that isn’t working, move your steak over the indirect heat sooner.
- Internal Temperature: Rare: 120-130; Medium – Rare: 130-140; Medium: 140-145; Medium-Well: 145-155; Well: 160.
- Marinade: here is a great steak marinade to try if you want too try something different than simple salt + pepper!
- Herbed Butter: here is a link to the Herbed Butter we used on the steaks!
- Leftovers: we love using leftovers to make this delicious Steak Salad!
Keywords: grilled steak, how to grill a perfect steak