A delicious and nutritious broth that warms the soul!
- 2 lbs chicken (use wings, drumsticks and thighs – bone in. You can also use a chicken carcass or combination)
- 3 carrot, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into large chunks
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Teaspoon ground sage
- 3–4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 3–4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4–5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 whole black peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- Place chicken in large stew pot; cover with water so chicken is completely submerged leaving about an inch between the chicken and the top of the water.
- Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked completely. Skim off foam any foam with a slotted spoon or sieve.
- Add 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon of salt, crushed garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, black peppers and bay leaf.
- Stir to mix.
- Add carrots, onion and celery.
- Cover and simmer for12-24 hours.
- Taste and use the rest of the salt to meet your desired saltiness; or add more if desired.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Remove large chunks of carrot, celery and onions and set aside.
- Strain remaining broth through a strainer and/or cheesecloth.
- Enjoy immediately or let cool and then place in airtight container in fridge for 5 days.
- Freeze and use within 6 months