How to Make Cold Brew – how to make cold brew coffee in your own home – no fancy equipment necessary!
Cold Brew Coffee
- 1 cup (4 ounces) roughly ground coffee beans (medium to dark roast)
- 8 cups filtered water
Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate
- 1 cup roughly ground coffee beans (medium to dark roast)
- 4 cups filtered water
- Coffee Grounds: Take grounds and place them in a sterilized glass container.
- Water: Add water.
- Shake: Give it a good shake to mix everything up.
- Refrigerate: Place cover on container and let sit in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours.
- Strain: Strain cold brew mixture by taking another mason jar (or large bowl) and placing a funnel on top. Place a piece of cheese cloth on top of that and then pour the cold brew mixture through the cheesecloth/funnel.
- Serve/Store: Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for several weeks.
- How to Coarsely Grind Coffee Beans: I simply place mine in my coffee grinder and pulse a few times. Don’t get too hung up on how they look – as long as they are somewhere between whole beans and finely ground you will be just fine!
- Small Batch: Your can cut down the ratio to 1/2 cup roughly ground beans and 4 cups of water.
- What Works for You: You will also figure out what ratio works best for you (everyone has their own personal preference) – but this is a very “typical” ratio. From here determine if you like your cold brew stronger or weaker. To make it stronger allow it to brew longer, use more grounds/less water, use a stronger type of bean. To make it weaker, use more water/less grounds.
- Can you heat it up: Yes! Just because you are brewing it in cold water doesn’t mean you cannot heat it up later. The acidity level will remain the same! I love heating mine up in the winter. To heat up simply place in a small saucepan or teapot and warm up to the desired temperature.
- Can you use decaf beans: Yes! You can definitely use decaf coffee beans instead of regular.
- Can you use finely ground coffee beans: In short, yes, you can use finely ground coffee beans BUT you may run into issue with filtering out all the ground during the straining process. Keeping your beans more coarsely ground will help prevent that.
- French Press: You can easily make this in a French Press as well – same method and same ratio.
- Caffeine: Here is a great article on whether cold brew has the same amount of caffeine as regular coffee.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0.6 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: how to make cold brew coffee, cold brew coffee recipe, cold brew coffee