How to Make Sushi Rice – an easy, step-by-step tutorials (with photos) that teaches you how to make sushi rice at home!
- 3 cups uncooked short grain sushi rice
- 3 cups water*
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (unflavored)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place sushi rice in a medium-sized bowl. Fill with enough water to cover the rice. Use your hand to move the rice around until the water becomes cloudy. Drain and continue to repeat this process until the water becomes clear (it takes a bit of time and the water doesn’t need to be 100% clear).
- Place drained rice in a medium/large saucepan. Add 3 cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Let simmer until water is fully absorbed, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the Sushi Vinegar ingredients in a mixing bowl or large measuring cup with a spout; set aside.
- Pour out rice carefully into a deep baking sheet.
- Using a rice paddle or wooden spoon begin slicing through and gently folding in the sushi vinegar as you slowly pour it evenly over the sushi rice. Continue gently folding the rice (you don’t want to mix or stir it in as it can squash the grains) until the sushi vinegar is combined.
- Continue to let the sushi rice cool until it comes down to room temperature; do not refrigerate before use.
- To keep the rice moist simply cover it with a damp cloth.
- Use in your favorite sushi recipes or poke bowls (here is a tutorial on how to make sushi at home)!
- *Water: if you like your rice texture to be more on the softer side add an additional 1/4 cup water. If you like a more firm rice texture, use the 3 cups listed.
Keywords: how to make sushi rice