How to Make Maple Syrup – a step by step tutorial answering ALL of your homemade maple syrup questions! Such a fun family activity!
- 5 gallons sap
- Add sap to turkey fryer. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove cover and continue to simmer uncovered until the temperature reaches 218/219 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour reduced sap into a large saucepan and place on the stove top. Bring back to a simmer, but keep a very careful on eye on the temperature. Ensure it does not boil over. Once the temperature reaches 220 remove from heat.
- If you want to confirm the correct sugar content you can use a hydrometer to test that it is under 61 bricks.
- Filter through cheesecloth or an Orlon filter.
- Store in sterilized mason jars.
- Larger quantities: if you are dealing with more than 5 gallons of sap then simply do this in batches OR you can do your initial boil down in a syrup pan.
Keywords: how to make maple syrup