- 2 1-inch cut filet mignon
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1–2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3–4 Tablespoons butter
- 3–4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Let steaks come to room temperature.
- Pat dry.
- Place skillet on stove and add vegetable oil over med-high heat.
- Wait until oil starts smoking.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the butter and then add steaks.
- Let steaks sit for 3 minutes, but periodically baste the steaks by tipping the skillet to the side and pooling the butter/oil and spoon mixture over the steaks.
- Flip steaks after 3 minutes.
- Let other side cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, while basting.
- Take temperature in the side of the steak and remove if they have reached desired temp or let cook additional time if not hot enough (see post for specific temps).
- Let steaks rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with crumbled blue cheese on top.
- Suggested side dish is sauteed fresh spinach.