Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes – a super simple weeknight dinner! This philly cheesesteak sloppy joe recipe is going to become a family fav!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1–2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3–4 tablespoons beef broth
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4–6 slices American cheese (regular or dairy-free)
- 4–6 toasted buns
- Bring large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add ground beef and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Move around pan while it cooks; about 5-7 minutes. Drain excess grease. Remove cooked ground beef from skillet with slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Add butter to skillet and let melt. Add garlic and move around pan until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add onion and bell peppers. Move around pan while they cook down a bit, approx. 2-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and allow them to cook down, approx. 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine liquid smoke, beef broth, worcestershire, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl; whisk to combine.
- Add ground beef back to the skillet along with the cornstarch mixture; ensure skillet is nice and hot. Move ingredients around the pan while the sauce thickens a bit.
- Place slices of cheese over top and remove from heat. Cover and let cheese melt a few minutes.
- Using a large spatula transfer some meat mixture covered in cheese to sliced buns.
- Dairy-Free: feel free to use olive oil instead of butter and choose a dairy-free cheese to make this meal dairy-free.
- Gluten-Free: use a gluten-free bun to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes