Refrigerator Dill Pickles – an easy, classic refrigerator dill pickle recipe! Learn how to make crunchy, delicious homemade pickles!
- 3–5 pickling cucumbers
- 4–5 little slices of white onion
- 3–5 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
- 4–6 black peppercorns
- In a small saucepan combine the white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, water, smashed garlic, pickling salt and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, after rinsing/cleaning your cucumbers find the end that wasn’t attached to the vine (this is called the blossom end) and cut just a tiny slice off (there is an enzyme found there that can effect the crispiness of the pickles!).
- Then cut the pickling cumbers into wedges by slicing them in half the long way and then slicing each half into 2-3 even slices again the long way.
- Cut little /4-5 slices/strips of white onion and place both the cucumbers and white onion in a 16oz mason jar (wide mouth) along with a couple fresh sprigs of dill.
- Carefully pour the vinegar (aka “brine”) over the pickles while it is hot. Ensure the garlic and peppercorns get in the jar too.
- Set the jar aside (careful, it will be hot) and place on a hot pad or kitchen cloth. Once they have cooled, cover the jar and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- 1 jar: I kind of love that this recipe only makes one jar, but you can easily double/triple/etc the recipe as you need to!
- Storage: store in the refrigerator for up to 4-6 weeks.
- Spicy: feel free to add a dash of red pepper flakes to spice things up if you want!
- Garlic: you can omit the garlic if you want to.
- Refrigeration Time: You can definitely let them sit longer than 24 hours before eating – totally up to you, but they are delicious even after 24 hours!
- Whole Pickling Cucumbers: you can use whole pickling cucumbers if you want, but you WILL need to let them refrigerate much longer than 24 hours in that case – I would recommend at least a week or so.
- Pickling Cucumbers: I do recommend using pickling cucumbers because they are so little and don’t get mushy as easily!
Keywords: refrigerator dill pickles