- Approx. 3/4 pound chicken fat (roughly chopped)
- Approx. 1/4 pound chicken skin
- water (enough to cover fat and skin)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (optional)
- kosher salt
- Place fat and skin in deep saucepan.
- Add enough water to barely cover the skin and fat.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onion when fat is completely melted and skin has turned brownish, but has not burned.
- Continue to stir frequently as onion cooks, approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Add a pinch or two of kosher salt.
- Strain fat through fine mesh sieve.
- Use immediately or keep in fridge in airtight container for no more than a week or freeze for later use.