- Approx. 1 1b of tomatillos with husks removed
- 1 small/medium white onion
- 1 small shallot
- 2 – 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 pablano pepper
- 1 anaheim pepper
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Place top oven rack about 4 inches below top.
- Cut tomatillos, white onion, shallot, Pablano pepper and Anaheim pepper (remove top of peppers first and discard) in half and place in a deep cookie sheet with foil covering the bottom.
- Add garlic to the cookie sheet and toss everything in olive oil.
- Broil on high for about 3-4 minutes and then remove the peppers – put pan back in the oven for another 6-7 minutes or until tomatillos, onions and garlic are clearly starting to turn brown and shrivel up. (you can roast longer if you want a stronger ‘roasted’ flavor)
- Remove from oven and place those same ingredients directly into a blender or food processor.
- Take jalapeno and remove top – then cut in half the long way and then into large chunks; Place in blender as well.
- Let everything cool off a bit before blending – when you do blend cover top with a towel.
- Add cilantro, lime zest, lime juice and salt to blender.
- Pulse blender several times to ensure large chunks are broken up; then blend for about 30 seconds or until you have reached your desired consistency.
Keywords: how to make salsa verde