- 3 cups flour
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon rum flavoring or 2 Teaspoon rum
- 3 Tablespoons soft butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon rum flavoring or 1 Teaspoon rum
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 Tablespoons half and half/cream
- In a mixing bowl beat sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and rum.
- Add dry ingredients 1 cup at a time until mixed thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to make cookies, take a small chunk of dough and warm slightly in hands.
- Place some flour on a cutting board and roll out dough until it is 1/2″ round.
- Cut into 2 1/2″ logs.
- Arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes.
- Cookies should be slightly brown on the bottom, not on the top.
- Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack.
- Beat together butter and rum or rum flavoring.
- Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat.
- Gradually add 2-3 cups powdered sugar until of spreading consistency.
- Add 2-3 Tablespoons of half and half and beat in.
- Spread frosting on each cookie and then run tines of fork over the frosting to resemble bark.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Keywords: nutmeg logs