Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions – a tried and true recipe for sautéed mushrooms and onions! Easy, delicious and perfect for any steak!
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sweet yellow
- 2–3 tablespoons ghee, butter or olive oil
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Remove outer peel from onion.
- Cut onion in half, cutting through the stem.
- Taking each half one at a time, lay on a cutting board, flat side down. Cut from stem to stem into thin strips. Use your hands to break apart and set aside.
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of ghee (or butter or olive oil). Let melt and coat the pan.
- Once the pan is hot, add the onion. Sprinkle with kosher salt and ground black pepper (approx. 1/4 teaspoon of each). Move the onions around fairly constantly, allowing them to cook down about 3-4 minutes. You can cook longer if you want the consistency of your onions to be softer. If you want the consistency of your onions to be more firm with almost a bit of crunch, then cook them less.
- Add another tablespoon or two of ghee (or butter or olive oil) and the sliced mushrooms. Season again with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Stir fairly constantly, allowing the mushrooms to cook down, about 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired, add additional ghee or butter or cook a little longer if you have not reached your desired consistency.
- Serve immediately with steak, pork chops or chicken!
- Onions: I prefer to use sweet yellow onions for this recipe, but you could really use any kind depending upon your own personal preference.
- Mushrooms: I used a simple pre-sliced, white mushroom for this recipe, but feel free to use a different variety if you want. Cooking times may vary if you use a different variety so just keep an eye on the consistency of the mushrooms by testing often.
- Dairy-Free: To keep this recipe dairy-free use a plant-based butter or olive oil/avocado oil.
- Whole30/Paleo: To keep this recipe Whole30/Paleo use ghee (here is a homemade ghee tutorial if you want to make it yourself!).
- Serving Suggestions: My favorite way to serve this is with a perfectly grilled steak! But it is also good as a side dish for any meal and it would be great served over pork chops or a simple grilled chicken breast.
Keywords: sautéed mushrooms and onions