Seven Layer Salad – a classic recipe with a few (healthier) twists! Always a hit and really easy to make! Perfect for holidays, get-togethers or weeknight meals!
- 1/2 head of ice berg lettuce, rip into small pieces
- 1 pkg frozen peas, thawed and uncooked
- 1/2 cup (more or less) yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup mayo (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 Tablespoon honey (to taste)
- 1 cup cheese (feel free to use goat cheese, regular or dairy-free)
- bacon bits (1 cup or approx. 8 pieces of bacon)
- Combine mayo and honey in a small bowl and mix to combine. Taste and add additional honey, to taste.
- Once all of your ingredients are prepared, take a 9×19 pan and layer: lettuce, peas, onion, celery, mayo sauce, cheese and bacon bits.
- This recipe is SO easy to adjust if you have a bigger or smaller pan. The amounts listed can really be used as suggestions and if you end up adding more or less of something (depending upon what you have and what you like) it will still work perfectly. I honestly just eye-ball it with most of the ingredients!
- Lettuce – feel free to use other types of lettuce if you want, we have just always used ice berg and it has a nice crunch to it
- Mayo – I grew up using Hellmann’s mayo, but if you want a healthier version I would highly recommend making your own mayo! You can use a store-bought paleo mayo, but I do like the clean flavor of the homemade kind the best for this recipe!
- Cheese – feel free to use goat cheese, dairy-free cheese or just use regular cheese
- Bacon Bits – we grew up using store bought bacon bits, but if you want a healthier version you can always cook your favorite paleo/Whole30 bacon and crunch it up into your own version of bacon bits!
- If you want to prepare ahead of time simply layer everything until you get to the mayo sauce. Cover and refrigerate. Prepare the mayo sauce, cover and refrigerate. Right before serving add the mayo sauce layer and then the cheese and bacon.
- Pan: If you are making this for a regular dinner I would recommend using a 9×9 pan, but if you want to make it fancy feel free to use a trifle dish like in the photo! You really don’t have to change the amounts for the ingredients (unless your trivet is especially large).
Keywords: seven layer salad recipe, seven layer salad, 7 layer salad recipe, 7 layer salad