Simple Seared Ahi Tuna Recipe – Your go-to seared ahi tuna recipe! So simple and always delicious!
- (2) 1 inch tuna steaks
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place tuna steaks on plate.
- Pat dry with clean paper towel.
- Sprinkle each side with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds per side.
- Pat seasoning into each side to make sure they stick.
- Take large cast iron skillet and add oil.
- Bring to medium-high heat.
- When oil just starts to smoke, place tuna steaks in skillet.
- Cook for 30-45 seconds per side (or up to 1 minute if you just barely want it rare in the middle).
- Remove and let rest on clean plate for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with sauce of choice (see notes below).
- Paleo/Whole30: To ensure Whole30/Paleo compliance – use coconut aminos. For a gluten-free alternative, use Tamari sauce. Otherwise, feel free to use soy sauce.
- How to Serve: we love these Seared Tuna Rice Bowls or these Ahi Tuna Tacos!
- eat undercooked or raw foods at your own risk (see full blog post for discussion about sushi-grade tuna, etc)
Keywords: ahi tuna, seared ahi tuna steak, seared ahi tuna recipe