Slow Cooker Pot Roast – a flavorful, tender slow-cooked pot roast that is fall-apart delicious!
Pot Roast Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2–3lb Country Natural Beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into in inch chunks
- 2 russet potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5–6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Gluten-Free Option: 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Paleo/Whole30 Option: 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder + 2 tablespoons water
- Combine Pot Roast Seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
- Tie your fresh rosemary and fresh thyme together with some cooking twine; set aside.
- Prepare your veggies and potatoes, place in your crockpot along with the garlic, and bay leaves.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the beef broth, pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, red wine vinegar and tomato paste. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Rinse off chuck roast and place on a large plate or platter. Pat dry with a clean paper towel.
- Take the Pot Roast Seasoning and rub all over the chuck roast, getting into every nook and cranny.
- Bring a 12 inch cast iron skillet to medium/high heat and add olive oil.
- Sear the chuck roast on all sides (2-3 minutes per side).
- Place the seared chuck roast on top of your veggies in the slow cooker.
- Pour the beef broth mixture over top and add in the herb bundle.
- Cover the let cook on LOW 6-8 hours or on HIGH 4 hours.
- Remove chuck roast and place on a large platter or plate. Using a slotted spoon remove the veggies and potatoes, placing them on the same plate. Cover with foil and set aside.
- Gluten-Free Gravy: Using a glass measuring cup, scoop out 1/2 cup of the remaining broth and add your cornstarch. Whisk until combined and thick; pour into the slow cooker and whisk to combine. Ensure the slow cooker is on HIGH and cover. Let sit 5-7 minutes. To thicken more add additional cornstarch 1/2 tablespoon at a time.
- Paleo/Whole30 Gravy: Combine 2 tablespoon water with 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder; whisk to combine. Pour into the slow cooker with the remaining broth and whisk to combine. Ensure the slow cooker is on HIGH and cover. Let sit 5-7 minutes. To thicken more add additional arrowroot powder 1/2 tablespoon at a time.
- Vegetables: Feel free to mix up your veggies if you want – parsnips are also great in this recipe!
- Pomegranate Juice: If you aren’t concerned with Paleo/Whole30 feel free to use a dry red wine in place of the pomegranate juice (such as a merlot).
- Balsamic Vinegar: If you are looking for a Whole30/Paleo balsamic vinegar here is a great one by Primal Kitchen!
- Tomato Paste: I love using these squeezeable tomato paste containers for when you only need a little tomato paste!
- Kitchen Twine: Kitchen twine is sold in most stores that have a kitchen section (such as Target, etc.), but here is a link to one if you need it!
- High or Low: I prefer to slow cook this on LOW for 8 hours for best results, but the recipe will turn out great either way!
Keywords: slow cooker pot roast