Smoked Chicken Breasts – juicy and delicious smoked chicken breast recipe that is simple and easy!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and ground black pepper OR smoked chicken dry rub
- optional brine: here is the smoked chicken brine which can be done beforehand if you want (not required).
- Turn smoker to 225 degrees F.
- Pat chicken dry with a clean paper towel.
- Season generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper OR smoked chicken dry rub.
- Place chicken on smoker and close the lid.
- Let chicken cook for approximately 50-70 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F. at the thickest part. Remove chicken from smoker and let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Optional Searing: turn your gas grill on high heat when your chicken almost reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Once your chicken reaches 165 degrees F. remove it from the smoker and sear it for 1-2 minutes per side on your gas grill. Then let rest 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- Searing: the searing is totally optional, but that is how you can ensure the outside of your chicken isn’t rubbery and is, instead, crispy and delicious. If you don’t have a gas grill you can sear on your smoker by removing the chicken and turning your smoker up ALL the way. Then sear quickly.
- Cook Time: how long it ultimately takes to smoke meat has so many variables at play (like wind, air temp, humidity, hot spots, thickness of chicken, etc.). These took an hour for me, but I provided a range to account for these other variables impacting your cook time.
- Smoked Chicken Thighs: we also have a similar recipe for Smoked Chicken Thighs.
Keywords: smoked chicken breasts