Smoked Mashed Potatoes – the ultimate smoked mashed potatoes recipe that is perfect for any meal! Topped with cheese and bacon!
- Approx. 4lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4–6 slices thick smoked bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat smoker to 225 degrees F.
- Bring a large saucepan or pot of water to boil.
- Add cut up potatoes (the smaller you cut them the shorter the boil time will be) to pot of boiling water.
- Boil potatoes for 15-25 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and let the butter melt/soften for a minute or two.
- Use a potato masher to mash everything together (alternatively you can use a hand mixer, if you prefer) until the consistency is smooth.
- Taste and adjust salt or other ingredients, as-desired.
- Pour out mashed potatoes into a 12-inch, deep cast iron skillet and spread out evenly.
- Place on smoker (uncovered) for 1-2 hours.
- Remove from smoker and sprinkle with cheese then add bacon.
- Place back on the smoker for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove and garnish with green onion.
- Serve immediately.
- Dairy-Free Substitutes: you can use plant-based butter instead of regular butter, plain dairy-free yogurt instead of Greek yogurt, dairy-free sour cream instead of regular sour cream, dairy-free ranch dressing instead of regular ranch and dairy-free cheese instead of regular..
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up 3-5 days.
- Bacon: we love cooking ours in the oven!
Keywords: smoked mashed potatoes