Smoked Pizza – a delicious smoked pizza recipe that is perfect for your next pizza night! Dough recipe included!
Making the Dough:
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups 00 flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- semolina flour
- pizza sauce
- grated mozzarella cheese (regular or dairy-free)
- pepperoni (optional)
- any other toppings you want
Making the Dough:
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar (stir gently). Let sit 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to look foamy/bubbly on top.
- Add flour and oil; use dough hook to knead for 2 minutes on low.
- Add salt and knead with dough hook for 5 minutes.
- Add a little oil to both hands and gently remove dough. Spray mixing bowl with olive oil or your preferred nonstick. Place dough back in the bowl and let sit, uncovered, 30 minutes (dough should double in size).
- Remove dough from bowl and divide into two equal portions. Form into balls and place on a baking sheet (ensure they are far enough away from each other so they don’t touch – they will expand as they rest). Let rest 15-20 minutes.
Rolling the Dough + Toppings:
- Place a large pizza stone directly on your grill grates and preheat smoker to 450 degrees F.
- Spread a generous amount of semolina flour on your baking sheet. Place one portion of dough on top and start pressing down and pushing edges out with your fingers. Alternatively, you can use a rolling pin, but the dough has a strong bounce-back so your fingers may work better. Ensuring you have plenty of semolina flour underneath your dough will allow you to smoothly slide it off onto your pizza stone.
- Once your dough is as thin as you would like it spread pizza sauce evenly on top and then cover with mozzarella cheese any any other toppings you desire.
- Add a tablespoon or two of semolina flour directly on top of your pizza stone (careful, it will be hot so don’t touch it directly).
- Slide the pizza off your baking sheet and onto the preheated pizza stone on the smoker.
- Close the lid and let cook 12-17 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Use a pizza peel to carefully remove the pizza and place on a cutting board. Alternatively, you can carefully scoot the pizza onto a cutting board – if it is done cooking it really should slide off the pizza stone easily. Allow to cool slightly.
- Cut into pizza and enjoy!
- Semolina Flour: highly recommend using the semolina flour underneath the pizza dough – be generous when using! It will allow you to slide off the pizza which would otherwise stick quite a bit!
- 00 Flour: 00 flour is finely ground Italian flour that is commonly used to make pizza or pasta.
- Dough Recipe – more information: we have a whole tutorial post on How to Make Pizza Dough if you want more info on our dough recipe.
- Dough Refrigeration/Make Ahead: once you have your 2 separate balls of dough you can place them in separate bowls, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge until you are ready to use it (up to overnight).
- Freezing the Dough: wrap your balls of dough in plastic wrap, place in a freezer safe container, and store in the freezer for up to 5 months. Thaw when ready to use, roll it out, and add the sauce/toppings.
- Leftovers: store leftover pizza in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: smoked pizza