The most amazing recipe for smoked pork shoulder!!
- 4 lb pork shoulder
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon smoked garlic powder (regular garlic powder will work!)
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- Yellow mustard (approximately 1/2 cup)
- Liquid Smoke (approximately 2-3 Tablespoons) – this one is Whole30 compliant
- Worcestershire sauce (approximately 2-3 Tablespoons) (for Whole30 either omit this or use a compliant version)
- plastic wrap
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups hickory smoking chips
- 2 cups mesquite smoking chips
- Rinse pork shoulder under water;
- Pat dry;
- Combine salt, smoked paprika, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, smoked garlic powder and black pepper in bowl.
- Place pork shoulder on cookie sheet.
- Take worcestershire sauce (if using)band pour all over pork shoulder ensuring it is thoroughly covered.
- Repeat with the liquid smoke.
- Take yellow mustard and pour all over pork shoulder ensuring it is thoroughly covered.
- Take spice mixture and start sprinkling/rubbing in generous amounts all over pork shoulder ensuring that a thick layer is created – every nook and cranny.
- Completely and tightly wrap pork shoulder in plastic wrap. Then double bag it in plastic bags and put in fridge for a minimum of 12 hours.
- After a minimum of 12 hours has passed, remove pork shoulder from fridge, unwrap and let come to room temp.
- Start smoker and bring up to 250 degrees.
- Soak smoking chips in water in a bucket by the smoker.
- Combine apple cider vinegar, apple juice and water and put in spray bottle.
- Once smoker reaches 250 and pork shoulder is at room temp, put handful of smoking chips into the smoking basket and put pork shoulder in smoker.
- Spray every 45-60 minutes with spray bottle all over.
- Add additional smoking chips about every hour.
- Smoke until pork shoulder reaches a minimum of 165 internal temp or go up to 190 for better ease of shredding.
- A 4 lb pork shoulder should need about 4 hours of smoking time.
- Let rest for an hour (wrap in foil) before shredding and serving.
- This can a also be made in a slow cooker (it won’t taste QUITE as amazing, but it is great for meal prep!). Follow directions 1-9 then place in slow cooker at cook on low for approx. 8 hours or until fully cooked. You don’t need to add any liquid! Shred once it is done cooking.
- If you want a separate recipe for just the spice rub to use on your other pork and chicken recipes – just click HERE!
Keywords: pork shoulder, pork shoulder rub, masterbuilt, electric smoker