Best Ever Sourdough Stuffing – this Best Ever Sourdough Stuffing is packed with flavor, delicious sourdough bread, mushrooms and so much more!
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided (regular or vegan)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 13–14 cups sourdough bread, cubed (dried and left out the night before to dry)
- 1 cup minced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2/3 cup minced yellow onion (about 3/4 yellow onion)
- 1/2 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons ground sage
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary – crush in hands before putting in
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth (or turkey)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook Mushrooms: Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter; let melt and swirl to coat the pan. Add garlic and move around pan until it becomes fragrant, approx. 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and sauté until they soften, approx. 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with olive oil. Place sourdough bread cubes, celery, onion, mushrooms, celery salt, garlic powder, ground sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, tarragon, marjoram and oregano inside. Toss to combine.
- Pour 1/2 cup of broth at a time over the mixture, stirring it in well. Continue adding 1/2 cup broth at a time until bread is moist (but not super soggy). You may not need to use ALL the broth. Taste and adjust any seasoning, as desired.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and pour evenly over top. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Place in oven, middle rack, for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool slightly. Serve with homemade turkey gravy!
- Drying out bread: If you forgot to leave your bread out overnight you can also dry it out in the oven. Place cubed bread on baking sheets and place in oven at 250 degrees. Let dry out for approx. 1 hour or so, stirring occasionally.
- Food processor: I highly recommend using the food processor to mince your onion and celery. Just add and pulse a few times – such a time saver!
- Prep Time: I only included active prep time in the listed prep time. I didn’t include the time necessary to dry out the cubed bread.
Keywords: sourdough stuffing