Steak Fajita Bowl – an absolutely delicious steak fajita rice bowl that is kid-friendly and packed with flavor! Great for meal prep!
- 12oz cups corn (grilled, boiled or frozen)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (more if desired)
- 1–2 jalapeños, diced (remove seeds and white membrane)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1.5 pound flank steak*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (approx. 2 limes)
- zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2–3 tablespoons chicken broth, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, orange), sliced
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- additional kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Other Fajita Toppings and Serving Suggestions:
- cilantro lime rice (homemade or store-bought)
- cilantro lime sauce
- guacamole or avocado chunks
- tomatoes or salsa
- sour cream, regular or dairy-free
- lime wedges
- fresh cilantro
- Make Corn Salsa: Add ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Taste and add any additional salt, cilantro or lime juice. (If you want to take this recipe to the next level and make some Cilantro Lime Sauce .. now would be the time to prep that ahead and stick it in the fridge – find the recipe HERE!)
- Prepare Steak: Pat steak dry with clean paper towels. Season lightly with salt and pepper – pressing the salt and pepper into the meat. Place steak in a large reusable silicone bag or glass baking dish and set aside.
- Marinate Steak: Add olive oil, fresh lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, cumin, garlic, soy sauce, kosher salt and fresh cilantro (if using) into a small mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Pour the marinade over the steak, ensuring it is fully coated. Seal and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
- Cook Steak: Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add a oil, swirl to coat the pan. Remove flank steak from marinade letting excess marinade drip off the steak; discard marinade. Place steak in the pan and sear 4-5 minutes per side and then 1-2 minutes per side until the internal temperature towards the thickest part of the steak reaches 130-135 degrees F. for a medium-rare finish (use an internal meat thermometer for accuracy) – during the cooking process turn down the heat, as-needed, if your skillet really gets hot and/or add a little extra oil if the pan is dry – to avoid burning. Remove from skillet and place on a cutting board to rest 10 minutes while you cook the veggies.
- Cook Veggies: Keeping pan at medium-high heat add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken broth to deglaze the pan – use a spatula to scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and move around pan until it becomes fragrant, approx. 1 minute. Add onion, bell peppers and the fajita seasoning. Stir to combine. Add additional broth or olive oil to pan if you feel it is getting a bit dry.
- Finish Veggies: Sauté for approx. 10-15 minutes or until the peppers have reached your desired doneness (cook shorter for a more firm, but tender pepper – longer for a softer pepper). Taste and add any additional salt or pepper, to taste.
- Serve: Slice the steak against the grain into thin slices. In each bowl add some cilantro lime rice, steak, fajita veggies, corn salsa, guacamole, sour cream (or cilantro lime sauce), fresh cilantro, tomatoes and fresh lime wedges.
- Steak Options: if you don’t want to use flank steak – sirloin, skirt or hanger steak could also be used – just adjust cook time and temp as-needed.
- Meal Prep: a great option for meal prep! Just make the corn salsa, cook the steak, sauté the fajita veggies and store them all separately. Reheat and assemble when ready to eat!
- Storage: place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. We recommend storing the various parts in separate containers to make reheating easier.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 9.3 g
- Sodium: 537.2 mg
- Fat: 16.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Protein: 28.1 g
- Cholesterol: 68.1 mg
Keywords: steak fajita bowl