A unique and absolutely delicious side dish to elevate any meal!
- 4 large yellow onions (cut off top 1/4, hollow out and roughly chop up insides, cut off bottom just to make flat)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 6 slices of hickory smoked bacon
- 2 slices of bread, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 Tablespoon ground sage
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place onions in deep baking pan.
- Add chicken broth.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then remove onions from pan, drain liquid, and return them to the pan,
- While the onions are baking, cook bacon in skillet until they start to get crispy.
- Add onion and let cook down for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add bread and mix.
- Add sage and pepper.
- Fold in 1 cup of cheese.
- Stuff onions with bacon mixture and top with additional cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes
Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart, Everyday Food, Fresh Flavors Fast (2010