Sweet Apple Cinnamon Yam Bake – an indulgent Holiday side dish that will quickly become a family favorite!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 Honeycrisp apples, peeled and cut into wedges (about 12 wedges per apple)
- 2 large (28oz) canned yams (drained)*
- 3–4 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 9×13 casserole pan, layer apples, yams, apple, yams. After each layer, sprinkle some cinnamon on top.
- Add all of the Sauce ingredients in a small/medium saucepan. Bring saucepan to medium/ medium-high heat and let the butter melt. Once butter has melted, stir to combine. When the saucepan starts to just barely simmer, start whisking (try not to let it boil). Continue whisking as it continues to thicken.
- Continue whisking until sauce thickens quite a bit (it should have the consistency of a very thick syrup) – this whole process should take about 15 minutes.
- Pour sauce evenly over the top of the apples/yams.
- Bake for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Let cool slightly and then serve.
- Apples: any type of apples would work, but I have always made it with Honeycrisp and it tastes amazing!
- Sugar: you could most likely substitute cane sugar for the granulated sugar with similar results.
- *Fresh Yams: you can use fresh yams if you want – simply bake approx. 4-6 yams ahead of time. Let cool completely and peel. Cut into large chunks and use as directed in the recipe card above.
- Dairy-Free Butter: I have not yet tested this with a dairy-free/vegan butter. I am optimistic it would work, but I haven’t personally tried it.
- Leftovers: These leftovers are so amazing! Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Peeled Apples: If I have one tip for you with this recipe it would be to use an apple peeler if you can! The most tedious part of this recipe is just peeling the apples – I used this peeling attachment for my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer and it was a game changer! Otherwise here is a good apple peeler too!
Keywords: apple yam bake