Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows – this sweet potato casserole with marshmallows recipe is a classic Thanksgiving side dish + so easy!
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter (vegan butter works)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk or heavy cream (unsweetened almond milk works)
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Carefully add the sweet potatoes and let simmer until they are very soft; approx. 15-20 minutes. Drain.
- Add boiled sweet potatoes to a medium mixing bowl along with the butter, eggs, milk, maple syrup, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Mash together until you have reached your desired consistency – use a hand masher for a rougher texture or a electric hand mixer for a smoother texture.
- Pour out into an 11-inch round casserole dish (or comparable baking dish).
- Place marshmallows on top in a single layer.
- Place in the oven, middle rack and uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly brown.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Add-ins: feel free to add in some pecans (candied or regular) either into the sweet potato mixture or sprinkled on top.
- Peeled potatoes: you don’t have to peel the potatoes if you prefer not to.
Keywords: Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows