Make either as a classic Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner side dish OR skip the toppings and it is just a yummy, healthier side dish for any meal!!!
- 4–5 large yams, washed and cut into cubes
- 4 Tablespoons ghee (can sub coconut oil for ghee or vegan butter – use coconut oil to keep Whole30)
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1–2 cups marshmallows (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Fill large saucepan or stock pot approximately 1/3 full of water – add pinch of salt.
- Bring water to boil and then add cubed yams.
- Let simmer until yams are cooked through.
- Place yams in large mixing bowl.
- Add ghee, ground cinnamon, maple syrup and salt.
- Use hand mixer to fully combine.
- Taste and add additional maple syrup or cinnamon, as desired,
- Place in 13×9 casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Add marshmallows on top.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.
(Make Ahead Directions – make the sweet potato mixture the night before and place in your baking sheet. Refrigerate overnight. Bake for approx 30 minutes to allow it to really re-heat and then add marshmallows as directed above)