Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple and delicious dairy-free + plant-based mushroom stroganoff the whole family will love!
- 5 Tablespoons of olive oil (or vegan butter), divided
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 8–12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour (gluten-free flour works)
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (use immersion blender to fully combine first if the coconut milk has separated in can)
- 1/4 cup Califia Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 16oz fettuccine noodles (cook according to package instructions, but cook a few minutes less than required for al dente)
- In medium/large sauce pan add 3 Tablespoons olive oil and add onion.
- Cook on medium, stirring constantly, until they reduce.
- Add mushrooms and cook on medium/high, stirring constantly until they cook down (approx. 5-7 mins) and start to brown. Stir fairly constantly. Add additional olive oil, as needed to ensure pan doesn’t dry out – I added a couple extra tablespoons – kind of depends how big your mushrooms are and how long they need to cook down; they will absorb the oil pretty quickly.
- Add salt, pepper and the thyme; stir to combine.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and stir to coat.
- Add flour and stir to full coat the mushrooms.
- Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each pour.
- Let simmer about 10 minutes, stirring softly, and you will see it start to thicken.
- After 10 minutes, add coconut milk and almond milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Add under-cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Let pasta simmer in the sauce for about 5 minutes, it will start to soak up the sauce.
- Taste and add any additional salt, pepper or thyme – as desired.
- Serve immediately with additional thyme as garnish.
- Noodles: feel free to use gluten-free fettuccine noodles
- Re-heating: Sauce will thicken when cold. To reheat leftovers, you may want to add a splash of vegetable broth or Califia Farms Unsweetened Almondmilk to help thin it out again!
Keywords: Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff