- 5 Tablespoons of olive oil (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 8–12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (use immersion blender to fully combine first if the coconut milk has separated in can)
- 1/4 cup Califia Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 16oz fettuccine noodles (cook according to package instructions, but cook a few minutes less than required for al dente)
- In medium/large sauce pan add 3 Tablespoons olive oil and add onion.
- Cook on medium, stirring constantly, until they reduce.
- Add mushrooms and cook on medium/high, stirring constantly until they cook down (approx. 5-7 mins) and start to brown. Stir fairly constantly. (add additional olive oil, as needed to ensure pan doesn’t dry out – I added a couple extra Tablespoons – kind of depends how big your mushrooms are and how long they need to cook down, They will absorb the oil pretty quickly))
- Add a pinch of salt and the thyme.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and let melt.
- Add flour and stir to fully combine.
- Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each pour.
- Let simmer about 10 minutes, stirring softly, and you will see it start to thicken.
- After 10 minutes, add coconut milk and almond milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper or thyme – as desired.
- Add under-cooked pasta and stir to combine, allowing pasta to finish cooking and soak up some of the sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff