Vegan Queso – a delicious, dairy-free version of your favorite queso dip!
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Califia Farms Unsweetened Barista Blend Creamer
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less as desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1–2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon tapioca starch
- (1) 10oz can tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- (1) 4oz can green chiles, drained
- (optional) 1 roma tomato, diced
- (optional) 2-3 tablespoon sweet potato puree
- Toppings: fresh jalapeño, fresh cilantro, additional fresh diced tomato
- Bring 2-3 cups of water to boil on the stove-top. Place cashews in a heat-safe bowl and pour boiling water over top. Let cashews soak for 10-15 minutes and then drain.
- Place cashews, creamer and nutritional yeast in a high powered blender. Blend on high until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add salt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, red chili powder, garlic powder, minced garlic and tapioca starch (and sweet potato puree, if using). Blend on high until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Taste the cashew mixture and adjust any seasoning, as necessary.
- Place tomatoes and green chiles in a bowl and add cashew mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add additional diced tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Serve with sliced jalapeño and fresh cilantro.
- High-Powered Blender: If you don’t have a high powered blender soak your cashews in water overnight.
- Nutritional Yeast: Make sure your nutritional yeast is nice and fresh, the flavor is so much better!
- Sweet Potato Puree: I love the little bit of sweetness the sweet potato puree adds to this dip, but I also know how annoying it is to have to potentially buy a whole can of sweet potato puree just to use a few tablespoons. So if you want to use it – great! If not, no worries, it will still turn out!
- Serving Suggestions: You can serve this immediately (room temp) or you can easily warm it up in the oven (about 350 in a baking dish until it has reached your desired temp).
Keywords: vegan queso